Can You Answer This Math Equation?
6 – 1 x 0 + 2 / 2= ?
As of now, we have received 130 guesses with more than five different answers. Do you know the correct answer?
Thanks for all of your contributions: 1, 3.5, 5, 6, 7, and 6403 as the wildcard! The correct answer is…(drumroll)…7!
We found the order of operations on math.com, and the rules of algebra are:
- Anything in parentheses first.
- Exponents and radicals next.
- Do all multiplication and division, working from left to right.
- Finally, do all addition and subtraction, again working from left to right.
Working through the problem according to these rules….
- Ignore this step.
- This one, too.
- 1 x 0 =0 and 2 /2 =1 so the equation becomes 6 – 0 + 1
- 6 – 0 + 1 = 7
An easy way to remember the order of operations is by knowing this acronym: PEMDAS (Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition, Subtraction.) Stay tuned for more trivia and brain busters.