- By: ROBYN BECK Collection: AFP
The 53rd Grammy Awards DID NOT disappoint! Here’s the highlights!
All genres of music were represented at last night’s 53rd annual Grammy Awards. The three hour-plus live broadcast from the Staples Center in Los Angeles boasted a slew of performances, some legendary appearances and a few surprises.
Lady Antebellum made the most trips to the stage to collect Grammys last night during the broadcast, including overall Record and Song of the Year for “Need You Now.” Other multiple winners were Eminem, Lady Gaga, Jay-Z & Alicia Keys, and John Legend & The Roots.
The night’s big surprises were Artist of the Year winner Esperanza Spalding — a category which had seemed a shoe-in for nominee Justin Bieber — and Album of the Year winner Arcade Fire.
Barbra Streisand, Mick Jagger and Dr. Dre all made rare appearances, performing during the show and bringing the crowd to its feet.
* The show opened with a medley of songs sung by Christina Aguilera, Jennifer Hudson, Martina McBride, Florence Welch, and Yolanda Adams in tribute to Aretha Franklin, including “Natural Woman,” “Ain’t No Way,” “Respect,” and “Sisters Are Doin’ It For Themselves.” The performance concluded with a videotaped message from Aretha thanking fans for their prayers and support.
* Lady Gaga emerged from the egg-shaped “womb” that she rode in down the red carpet and onto the stage to perform her new single.
* David Letterman read off his Top 10 list of “Suprises at the 2011 Grammy Awards.” And the Number One surprise was “Justin Bieber – Hairpiece?”.
* Nicole Kidman danced in her seat, smiling and singing the words along with Katy Perry to “Teenage Dream.” Later in the show, she stood dancing behind husband Keith Urban during Mick Jagger’s performance.
* Rihanna managed to perform twice during the show despite having bronchitis and laryngitis. The singer’s rep told the press she was taking steroids and antibiotics just to make the appearances.
* The most censored performance of the evening was Eminem’s collaboration with Rihanna, Dr. Dre and Skylar Grey on “Love The Way You Lie (Part II)” and “I Need A Doctor.”
* Katy Perry brought both her husband, Russell Brand, and her grandmother with her to the show. She told Ryan Seacrest on the red carpet that win or lose, she was still going home with a “grammy.”
via Pulse of Radio.