Internet Problems Today
It's been all over the news this past week, thousands in the US are waking up with no internet access today. Basically, the FBI has been hosting a temporary server that they shut off at midnight last night. This server hosted computers temporarily that were infected with the "Internet Doomsday" virus, it was a scam that was shut down last year.
There still may be access for those affected in America, however, as Reuters reports that Internet providers including AT&T and Time Warner Cable have made temporary arrangements so that their customers will be able to access the Internet using the address of the, quote, "rogue DNS servers."
It's unclear exactly how many computers are still infected, but online security firm Deteque estimated last week that it's 245,000 around the world. If you were infected, here are places where you can correct the problem!
- Malware check -- http://dns-ok.us/
- FBI -- https://forms.fbi.gov/check-to-see-if-your-computer-is-using-rogue-DNS
- DNS Changer Working Group -- http://www.dcwg.org/
- Facebook -- http://www.facebook.com/notes/facebook-security/notifying-dnschanger-victims/10150833689760766
- McAfee -- http://www.mcafee.com/dnscheck