Reddit Wants to Help You Be a Better Person
Reddit is a website that varies from funny baby videos to heavy political debate. As long as the content is worthy enough to be up voted it will make it to the front page. Today's front page had a fun post asking, "What is your best "don't knock it till you try it?" The answers ranged from gross sounding recipes to sleeping naked, but one suggestion I believe will truly make anyone who reads it happier and a better person.
First, the Reddit user RabbitRobotica's answer to "What is your best 'don't knock it till you try it?" was:
Being nice to people for no reason. It will change your life."
Most of us have probably had this thought before or even tried it on most days. The response by Jurph is what really inspired me:
Bonus: when walking through a crowded place, make up -- as in, completely fabricate -- a nice thing about each stranger that passes you. I'm talking completely improbable stories, things that would come up an hour or two into a cocktail party and make that person the center of attention for a few moments.
- She knows how to distinguish eighty varieties of garden rose
- He saved a puppy's life and now every dog he meets treats him like family
- She doesn't sing very well but can absolutely rock the female vocals from Gimme Shelter. This has happened twice, both times in karaoke situations.
- He can eyeball a jar of change and estimate the value within about 2%, but can't guess the number of jellybeans or M&Ms to save his life.
- She can do all of the dance fad moves from the 1920s
- He can cook a steak perfectly regardless of the conditions or equipment. He once cooked a dozen filets on an outdoor charcoal grill in the middle of a blizzard, and got the medium-well steaks to come up at the same moment as the rares.
Start making up these little anecdotes for strangers, and you will almost certainly be grinning ear-to-ear by the time you get to wherever you're going."
I'm curious to know where this person came up with such a simple yet brilliant idea. It reminds me of the childhood wonder and fantasy that fills the thoughts of kids. We are so quick to assume the worst in people nowadays. Check out the full thread here and you too will be smiling from ear to ear.
Also, I would like to thank you for taking time during your 10 day straight record setting pogo stick marathon to read my post!