Avalanche Warning Issued on Monday for Cooke City, Montana
Warmer temperatures and more (wet) snow have increased the avalanche danger in the Cooke City area with an Avalanche Warning being issued Monday morning.
According to the Gallatin National Forest Avalanche Center:
AVALANCHE WARNING - ISSUED ON JANUARY 9 2017 at 6 a.m.
- The Gallatin National Forest Avalanche Center is issuing a Backcountry Avalanche Warning for the mountains around Cooke City.
- Heavy, wet snowfall overnight with strong westerly winds is adding weight to a weak and unstable snowpack.
- The avalanche danger is rated HIGH on all slopes.
- Natural and human triggered avalanches are likely today.
- Avalanche terrain and avalanche runout zones should be avoided.
- This warning will expire or be updated by 6:00 a.m. on January 10th, 2017.