Bozeman People Certainly Have Opinions About Whitehall and Cardwell
There's really nothing finer than the social media comments when someone asks a seemingly harmless question about the vibe of a few small towns. It's as if Bozeman folks can't help themselves...MUST...RESPOND...GIVE...WITTY...FEEDBACK.
So here's what happened: a few days ago, one of the Bozeman-centric Facebook groups presented a harmless question regarding small towns, located about an hour outside of Bozeman. (Specifically Whitehall and Cardwell, MT.)
The original poster wanted to know what type of community each town was, whether they were welcoming to new residents, and even about rattlesnakes in the area. (?)
Anyway, DOZENS of responses came in from Bozeman area folks dying to chime in with their two cents. (Please note: any spelling errors or weird grammar below were made by the social media commenter.)
- "Likely welcoming unless you want to come change everything and put in street lights."
- "you will always be considered an outsider, and so will your great grand children"
- "I lived in Whitehall for 4 years too long. The wind was insane."
- "You'll have to be careful to not get on anyone's property or you'll be shot at." Never know when a robber will stop your car and steal everything. It's every man for themselves."
- "My thought was you either have to belong to a church or a bar" (?)
- "Rattlesnakes and other wildlife are pretty much everywhere."
- "don't t forget noxious weed control."
- "WIND . . . . that word doesn't encompass just exactly what it's like there."
- "They have both rattlesnakes and flooding. Lots of wind and mosquitoes as well."
- "If you have to ask, you won't do well there. Check out Townsend instead."
- "They're ok little communities but they're nowhere near as nice as what you'll find in North Dakota."
- (my personal favorite... :-) "Dusty, windy, rednecky, no good food, nothing to do. It is country living and classic Montana."
- "Tons of rattle snakes and floods all the time might wanna stay in California"
- "Truck stop in Whitehall has a lot of meth heads.. Don’t try to change the place and you’ll be fine (well maybe the meth heads)"
- "And don’t get me started about flooding. Place is practically the pacific ocean in the spring time."
- "Very small towns"
- "yes wind and river rattlesnakes"