Jefferson River Under Flood Watch Due to Ice Jams
Extreme cold temps have created significant ice jams along the Jefferson River and a Flood Watch will remain in effect until further notice.
According to the National Weather Service:
FLOOD WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.
- The Flood Watch continues for the Jefferson River from Twin Bridges to north of Silver Star in Madison County.
- An ice jam has developed north of Silver Star, with the water backing up as far south as Hells Canyon Road.
- Minor flood stage is 10 feet in this area.
- Water levels on this portion of the Jefferson River remain near flood stage.
- Since ice jams are unpredictable, the flood watch will remain in place until the threat for flooding has decreased.
- A Flood Watch means there is a potential for flooding based on current forecasts. You should monitor later forecasts and be alert for possible flood warnings.
- For those living in areas prone to flooding, please prepare for flooding should it develop and never drive through flooded roadways.