Yellowstone Park Entrances Scheduled to Open Next Month
Winter seemed to fly by, eh? In April, a few of the roads into Yellowstone National Park will open to vehicle traffic weather permitting, of course.
The 2022 summer opening dates for roads into Yellowstone have been posted. Now you can plan ahead for your visit into the park before the onslaught of tourists arrive. Keep in mind, many roads will not open to vehicles until May. But it's a start.
"The road between the North and Northeast Entrance, serving Mammoth Hot Springs, the Lamar Valley, Silver Gate and Cooke City, is open year-round."
Here is the "official" schedule of road openings for the summer season of 2022, keeping in mind that these dates are always weather permitting (according to Yellowstone Insider):
- April 15: West Entrance to Madison Junction, Mammoth Hot Springs to Old Faithful, Norris to Canyon Village
- May 6: East Entrance to Lake Village (Sylvan Pass), Canyon Village to Lake Village
- May 11: Cooke City to Chief Joseph Scenic Byway
- May 13: South Entrance to West Thumb, Lake Village to West Thumb, West Thumb to Old Faithful (Craig Pass), Tower Junction to Tower Fall
- May 27: Tower Fall to Canyon Junction (Dunraven Pass), Beartooth Highway
The beloved Beartooth Highway won't be open until the end of May, so we've got some time for that tourist parade. It has been called the most beautiful roadway in America...for good reason.
BTW, there are going to be three major road construction projects this summer, so be prepared for even more delays than normal. Two of the projects will even include some overnight closures of certain roads.
CHECK CURRENT YELLOWSTONE ROAD CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS HERE.
The Fall 2022 road closing dates are as follows, per the National Park Service:
- November 1: All roads close at 12:01 am except the road between the North Entrance and the Northeast Entrance.
- October 11: The Beartooth Highway (US-212) closes between the Long Lake barricade, near the Top of the World store, and the Montana/Wyoming state line.
- Travel east of Cooke City, Montana, to Chief Joseph Scenic Byway is possible until early November