Epically Bad Montana Road Conditions Brewing for Monday
Warm temps leading into a sudden cold snap and many inches of snow do not bode well for most of Montana. Wet roads freezing overnight and a constant stream of snow, AND some gusty winds will create the perfect storm for terrible conditions.
If you must travel or commute on Monday (just about anywhere in Montana), plan ahead and definitely allow for additional travel time. Weather issues could plague the state with pretty bad road conditions.
SLOW DOWN AND DON'T BE IN A HURRY. Having patience, slowing down and being as visible as possible will be key to staying safe on the roads. USE YOUR HEADLIGHTS while driving and give PLENTY of room to other cars.
LOTS OF SNOW, GUSTY WINDS AND SUDDEN TEMPERATURE DROP. We're looking at multiple factors for poor conditions on Sunday evening into Monday across the entire state.
BOZEMAN AREA WINTER STORM WARNING: WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 11 AM MONDAY.
- WHAT...Heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations between 2 and 6 inches at lower elevation, with 6 to 12 inches in the mountains and over mountain passes.
- Winds gusting as high as 35 mph.
- WHERE...Broadwater, Gallatin, Jefferson and Madison Counties.
- WHEN...Until 11 AM Monday.
- Travel could be very difficult. Blowing snow could significantly reduce visibility. Severe to extreme conditions are expected for newborn livestock.
- Initially wet road surfaces could flash freeze as an Arctic cold front moves in.
BILLINGS AREA WINTER STORM WARNING: WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM SUNDAY TO 6 AM TUESDAY.
- WHAT...Heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations between 4 and 10 inches.
- Winds gusting as high as 30 mph. Highest amounts will be in the higher elevations near the foothills.
- WHERE...A portion of south central Montana.
- WHEN...From 6 AM Sunday to 6 AM Tuesday.
DEER LODGE/ANACONDA WINTER STORM WARNING: WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT TO 11 AM MONDAY.
- WHAT...Heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 2 to 4 inches.
- WHERE...Butte, Georgetown Lake, Highway 12 Garrison to Elliston, Homestake Pass, and MacDonald Pass. Travel and visibility will be affected at times.
- WHEN...until 11 AM Monday.