Snow Alert: Wind and 12 – 15″ Possible for Montana Mountains by Wednesday
As much as a pain traveling may become, Montana getting hammered with mountain snow for the next few days is a really great thing. The old cliché about "we need the moisture" is getting more true and less casual by the day.
Up to 15 inches of mountain snow is apparently on it's way, along with wind gusts of up to 45 mph. This doesn't bode well for those who will need to be on the roads....so consider not being on the roads, eh?
NOTE: Wind will be an issue across most of the state, but areas around Missoula (especially noted below) could see dangerous winds with power outages expected.
BOZEMAN/GALLATIN COUNTY - According to the National Weather Service:
- WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM MONDAY TO 6 AM WEDNESDAY.
- WHAT...Heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations between 2 and 5 inches across the Gallatin Valley, and up to 15 inches in the mountains.
- Winds gusting as high as 45 mph.
- WHERE...Gallatin County.
- WHEN...From 6 PM Monday to 6 AM Wednesday.
- IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult. Patchy blowing snow could significantly reduce visibility.
- The hazardous conditions could impact the Monday evening and Tuesday morning commutes.
- If you must travel, keep an extra flashlight, food, and water in your vehicle in case of an emergency.
- The latest road conditions can be obtained by calling 5 1 1 or visiting the MDT Road Report website.
BILLINGS AREA - According to the National Weather Service:
- WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT MONDAY NIGHT TO 6 PM WEDNESDAY.
- WHAT...Heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations between 6 and 10 inches. Locally higher amounts possible.
- Winds gusting as high as 40 mph.
- WHERE...Portions of central and south central Montana.
- WHEN...From Midnight Monday Night to 6 PM Wednesday.
- IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult. Areas of blowing snow could significantly reduce visibility.
- The hazardous conditions could impact the Tuesday morning and evening commutes.
- The cold temperatures combined with the winds and snow could pose a significant threat to young livestock.
HAMILTON/BITTERROOT VALLEY, SOUTH OF MISSOULA HIGH WIND WARNING:
- HIGH WIND WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 2 PM MONDAY TO MIDNIGHT MONDAY NIGHT.
- WHAT...Northeast winds 25 to 35 mph with gusts up to 55 mph expected in the Missoula Valley.
- Northeast wind 35 to 45 mph with gusts to 60 mph in the Rattlesnake area.
- North winds 25 to 35 mph in the Bitterroot Valley developing late.
- WHERE...Missoula/Bitterroot Valleys.
- WHEN...From 2 PM Monday to midnight Monday night.
- IMPACTS...Damaging winds will blow down trees and power lines.
- Widespread power outages are expected. Travel will be difficult, especially for high profile vehicles.